Friday, June 09, 2006

food slabs

While I'm waiting for interesting events or thoughts to write about, which hopefully will all be sports related, allow me to share a memory.

Just before Christmas 2005, I saw an old, presumably polish man in the Timothy's on Roncesvalles who had brought in his own food on a paper plate. On it was a hamsteak, a slab of butter, some white onion, and I think some mellon. Each was absolutely uniform in its colour, and all of them were cut to an identical thickness. Basically the guy was eating these perfect slabs of grey, yellow, white and orange. I felt lucky to witness it.

I am looking forward to being old and crazy and ethnic enough that I can get away with that kind of shit. At the moment I am still young(ish), sane(ish) and wasp(er than you can imagine) enough that I am expected to adhere to "no outside food or drink" rules.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?